Wednesday, September 30, 2009

vacation sob story

We were supposed to take a vacation to Portland and Seattle next week that has been planned for months. Long story short, when Chris's work plans changed, his deadlines changed and his current project's deadline does not allow for a week away from the drawing table. We were in denial about this for a couple of weeks, believing that Chris would grow an extra set of arms, or clone himself, and there would still be time to go. But reality set in this week and I cancelled all our reservations and plane tickets. Le sigh.

7 comments:

tonci said...

=/

also, it seems all people who draw comics seem to constantly be in the same kind of situations. must be some evil forces afoot!

laura said...

Evil forces indeed! :) I wish I knew how other artists coped. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

tonci said...

i wish i knew- we spent the entire summer saying "next week we go!"

Tony Shasteen said...

"I wish I knew how other artists coped."

We don't plan vacations... very depressing.

alan said...

That sucks. The life of a freelancer eh?! I always envisaged that one day it would be possible to have a nice portable wacom tablet type thing that you could take away on holiday and maybe do bits of work while having a change of scene. Guess that's a pipe-dream. Maybe the cute characters in the Samnee family like Scout could spot blacks...

laura said...

Tony - you guys deserve to take vacations! That stinks!

Alan - We've taken other trips where Chris brought his boards and drew at night in the hotel, so I guess a lot of artists may do it that way. Unfortunately, he would have had to draw all night and day in the hotel to make deadline and that didn't seem like a vacation at all! Plus, I don't ever see Chris working on a wacom. He's old school! :)

TheFrogBag said...

Oh no! I know exactly how you feel. Gabriel and I were planing a vacation all year, but it's always: next month when we have more time. Or: After THIS deadline when there's more time. Le sigh, indeed!